Light Weight Blend
This renewable resource is the lightest and most nutritious on the market, designed upon decades of use in European and California markets. Perfect for green roof/rooftop garden applications with proper plant care. This product is an excellent alternative for a lightweight potting mix. This recipe may be amended to meet project specifications.
The three elements in this custom mix are:
- Compost - Organic and OMRI Listed: Comprised entirely of herbaceous materials, containing no manures. Feedstock includes whole-tree grind (leaves, bark, branches, cambium layer); and yard trimmings include shrubs, palm fronds, leaves and grass. Ground feedstock is combined with organics (fruit, vegetables and breads) from groceries and markets. Windrow management finishes compost to meet the United States Composting Council STA testing requirements (weed and pathogen free), rich in organic matter and nutrients required by all plants for successful growth. Monthly sprout test ensures the compost is mature and capable of sustaining vigorous life.
- Perlite: Horticulture grade perlite is non-reactive, pH neutral volcanic obsidian high fired in kilns to expand the surface area allowing it to hold moisture and provide aeration and drainage.
- Expanded Shale: High-fired, kiln-produced shale provides aeration and drainage.
Weight: 20 pounds per cubic foot or 540 pounds per cubic yard. The blend falls well below the recommended maximum weight capacity of 75 pounds per square foot planted and wet.
Application and Installation
- Add 6-10 inches to the overall depth to provide sufficient volume to sustain plant life.
- Apply over lined rooftops, providing drip irrigation system. Yearly inspections of rooftop planting soils, watering systems and drainage areas ensures no additional actions are needed to successfully maintain and grow a green roof.
- Light Weight Blend works equally well as a pot filler.
Contact us at 972-769-4150. Visit the soil test results page.